Wednesday, April 7, 2010

P-I-Z-Z-A

Ask any child what their favorite food is, and I'm sure at least 80% of them would tell you, "PIZZA!"
Mine are no different.
They love pizza.
But, that gets expensive & really (I'm no heathfood guru) it's not very good for them.
So, I set about finding a recipe that I can feel good about giving them on a consistent basis.
It's pretty easy (ok, not as easy a delivery), pretty cheap & pretty healthy.

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
(this feeds my family of 5)
(I don't have a circular pizza pan. This makes enough dough to fill a large cookie sheet)



1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. Italian Seasonings
2 packets active dry yeast
2 T. olive oil
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water + 1 more Tablespoon

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients except sugar & yeast.
2. Stir togther and form a hole in the center.
3. Mix the the remaining ingredients and pour into the hole.
4. Gently mix all together with your hands and form into a ball.
5. Knead on a floured surface for several minutes or until the dough is smooth & elastic.
6. Shape into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a dry cloth.
7. Let it rise to double the size. (usually around an hour or more depending on how warm your house is)
8. Punch down dough & form into a ball. Let rest for about 5 minutes.
9. On a floured surface, press or use a rolling pin until dough is slightly larger than your pan.
10. Fold dough in half and half again.
11. Place dough onto the edge of your well greased pan. You can also dust the pan with cornmeal if you like.
12. Unfold dough and push into the edges of the pan to form the crust.
13. Top with pizza or spagetti sauce and any toppings you like. For the cheese, I like to use some         chedder, some mozzerella and then sprinkle it with a little grated parmesean.
I also like to hide some veggies, that my kids normally won't eat, under the layer of cheese.
14. Bake at 500 degrees for about 12-15 minutes. My oven bakes pretty quick, so it doesn't take long.

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving all your post! I love to make homemade pizza but rarely do it becuase I'm so picky about crusts, but this one sounds great! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds good..I am going to try it. We add the pulp from our juicer to bread and pizza doughs.....packs it with extra vitamins and the kids never even know it....gotta sneak it in anyway we can!!!! Realy loving your sight!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments & Ideas Welcome!